This document is supplied to clients when they are awarded accredited certificates to inform them of the ways in which IQS Marks and the IQS certification can be utilised. This instruction is also used by auditors to determine if the client is using the Mark and certification correctly at surveillance and re‑certification audits.
The IQS Mark can be used in isolation, or together with the AB Mark as required by the customer. The AB Mark can only be used adjacent to the IQS Mark.
Marks may be reproduced from this document electronically. Should the source of reproduction be different (for example, by copying a printed reproduction) then it is recommended that clients submit proofs of the Marks to IQS as part of the printer’s approval process to determine the acceptability of reproduction and use.
The IQS and AB Marks is depicted herewith:
IQS Certification Body mark Accreditation Body Mark
Marks can be used on all company stationary (internal and external). The Marks must not be used to indicate, or imply, that any product or service provided by the certified organisation is approved by IQS, AB, or compliant to the certification standard. Furthermore, if the certification scope does not include all company activities or sites, then Mark use must not be used to indicate, or imply that the activities or sites that are outside of the certified scope are certified by IQS.
The Marks above depict the only way that IQS & AB Marks may be used. The Marks may be reduced or increased in size to suit the use. When reducing the Marks in size, the words should remain legible. (Size reduction will therefore be dependant upon printing resolution.)
When used in isolation, the IQS Mark may be changed in colour to match the predominating client colour used on company letter heads, business cards, or other stationary. The colours of the AB Mark may not be changed.
Copies of certificates can be sent to potential and existing customers of the client if considered desirable.
Other methods of recording certification
Some clients may wish to state that they are certified by IQS rather than use Marks. In these circumstances the following wording is suggested:
“Certified to ISO 9001 by IQS” It is suggested that clients submit other wording to IQS for approval.
IQS declare that:
- Our mark shall not be used on a product or product packaging seen by the consumer or in any other way that may be interpreted as denoting product conformity. IQS do not permit our mark to be applied to laboratory test, calibration or inspection reports, as such reports are deemed to be products in this context.
- IQS requires that, its client organizations:
- Conform to the requirements of the certification body when making reference to its certification status in communication media such as the internet, brochures or advertising, or other documents.
- Do not make or permit any misleading statement regarding its certification.
- Do not use or permit the use of a certification document or any part thereof in a misleading manner.
- Upon suspension or withdrawal of its certification, discontinues its use of all advertising matter that contains a reference to certification.
- Amends all advertising matter when the scope of certification has been reduced.
- The IQS or AB Mark cannot be used to indicate or imply that products or services are certified;
- Any management system certification mark shall, among other things, be traceable back to the certification body. There shall be no ambiguity, in the mark or accompanying text, as to what has been certified and that IQS has granted the certification.
- This mark shall not be used on a product nor product packaging nor in any other way that may be interpreted as denoting product conformity.
- The marks to be applied by certified clients cannot be applied to laboratory test, calibration or inspection reports or certificates.
- The use of any statement on product packaging or in accompanying information that the certified client has a certified management system can be as the following example.
- Product packaging is considered as that which can be removed without the product disintegrating or being Accompanying information is considered as separately available or easily detachable. Type labels or identification plates are considered as part of the product. The statement shall in no way imply that the product, process or service is certified by this means. The statement shall include reference to:
- Identification (e.g. brand or name) of the certified client;
- The type of management system (e.g. quality, environment) and the applicable standard;
- The certification body issuing the certificate.:
“Manufactured by Company Name using a quality system certified by IQS to ISO 9001” as appropriate It is also suggested that clients submit other wording to IQS for approval.
- Do not imply that the certification applies to activities that are outside the scope of certification.
- Do not use its certification in such a manner that would bring the certification body and/or certification system into disrepute and lose public trust.
- IQS will take action to deal with incorrect references to certification status or misleading use of certification documents, marks or audit reports.
Misuse of Mark
Use of the certificate and Mark is reviewed at all surveillance visits and re-certification visits. In the event that the certificate or Mark is misused, then the auditor will record the misuse as a nonconformance requiring correction. The nonconformance will be graded as major if the misuse misrepresents the products or services being supplied. Inadvertent misuse (or technical infringement) will result in a minor nonconformance being prepared.
Suspension and withdrawal of certification
In the event that certification is suspended (pending withdrawal) then use of the certificate, Mark(s) or statement that suggests certification of the management system standard is prohibited. Clients are advised that acceptance of contracts or purchase orders based upon their certification should not occur.
All uses of the certificate and Mark(s) and associated statements must be discontinued upon withdrawal of certification. Should the certificate be withdrawn, then the use of certificate and Mark should cease completely. It is also necessary for the client’s customers must be advised when issued certificates are withdrawn.